We've listed 9 basic points on our checklist to ensure the best Mileage Log experience with ZUS. If you ever find your trips are missing, please walk through the checklist. Do it once and avoid all the troubles later on.
1. Are Location Services "On" for ZUS App?
You can check your location settings:
- on iOS: Settings > Privacy > Location Services (On) > ZUS > Always
Important - iOS 11 and higher, now allow the option to only use location services when an app is in use which will prevent ZUS from detecting drives consistently. Please ensure your location services for ZUS are set to Always as selecting While in Use will prevent automatic drive detection.
- on Android by going to: Settings > Security & Location > Location > On
Important - "High Accuracy" mode is required on Android. You can check if it's on by going to Settings > Security & Location > Location > Mode > High Accuracy
2. Have you force-quit ZUS?
Force-Quitting is done by double-clicking the center iPhone button (iPhone 8 or earlier), swiping up from the bottom edge of the screen (iPhone X or later), or square Android button and swiping the ZUS app/icon off the screen. On many versions of iOS and Android, all drive detection will stop if you do so. Please keep ZUS running in the background of your device so that it can capture and record your drives.
3. Is your device restricting background data, app, or battery usage?
Some default settings/apps on Android devices are designed to automatically shut down apps and will prevent ZUS' drive detection from running in the background of your device. This can cause gaps in your driving record but is easily prevented. Check your Android device's steps to see how to prevent or resolve these issues for ZUS: Optimize Mileage Log/Car Parking Location on Android Phones
- Third-party apps on iOS and Android that attempt to be Memory boosting, Data compression, task-killing, battery-saving, anti-virus, or app management apps can interfere with ZUS. Please disable them (or add ZUS to the third-party app's Whitelist or Ignore List) to see if drive detection improves.
4. To ensure that ZUS is not suspended from running in the background, please consider regularly opening the mobile app.
While useful in classifying your drives while they're fresh in your memory, opening the mobile app regularly also prevents the app from being shutdown without your knowledge by any app/battery optimizing settings.
- Important - On iOS, your iPhone will occasionally ask "ZUS Has Been Using Your Location In The Background. Do You Want to Continue Allowing This?" In order for ZUS to detect drives, you must choose "Continue" to this prompt. Selecting "Don't Allow" will disable location services and ZUS will not detect drives.
- Tip - On iOS 11 and higher, if you cannot locate the ZUS app on your phone any longer, check your setting for "Offload Unused Apps" under Settings > General > iPhone Storage. If enabled and ZUS has not launched or detected any movement over a period of time, depending on your phone storage situation, ZUS may have been deleted by iOS. You will need to reinstall ZUS from the App Store.
5. Are Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled?
Even when you aren't connected to a Wi-Fi hotspot (think - a coffee shop), your mobile device uses the hotspot proximity (and if you live in/near a city, you pass thousands of them a day) to register location information. Wi-Fi is far more efficient on batteries than other location sources like GPS. You can turn on WiFi by going to Settings > Wi-Fi > On.
6. Is Background App Refresh/Data "On" for ZUS?
You can verify your background refresh/data settings:
- on iOS by going to Settings > General > Background App Refresh > ZUS > On
- on Android by going to Settings > Wireless & networks > Data usage > Cellular data > On
- Important - on Android, from both the Data Usage Menu icon (this can look different depending on device) and the ZUS icon under App usage, make sure "Restrict background data" is unchecked. Additionally, if you’ve set a cellular data limit, make sure that you have not crossed it recently.
7. Are you running the latest version of your device's OS?
Having the most up-to-date operating system on your phone will provide the latest features to support and protect background apps like ZUS.
You can update your device's OS:
- on iOS by going to Settings > General > Software Update > Download and Install
- on Android by going to Settings > System > About phone > System updates
8. Are you running the latest version of ZUS?
We are constantly improving ZUS and having the latest version will ensure optimal performance.
You can update your version of ZUS if needed:
- on iOS by going to App Store > Updates > ZUS > Update
- on Android by going to Play Store > Settings (at the top left) > My apps > ZUS > Update
9. Is your account currently logged in (and is it the correct account)?
Make sure you’re signed in to the ZUS app and using the correct email address.
After “Signed in” you should see the email address associated with your account by clicking on the icon in the upper left corner. Double-check for any misspellings as a second account may have accidentally been created. We’ve also received feedback that user “naturally signed in using Apple Sign-In, only to find all their ZUS devices has gone away. Please make sure you always sign in with the one that you’ve installed all your devices.
Feedback with Efficiency
Throwing a negative review on the App Store or Google Play won't get the issue solved.
If you have checked all the above items yet your trips are still missing, we'd simply ask you to send us feedback this way:
Write to email@example.com and let us know the rough timing when the trips are missing or inaccurate, e.g. from 7 am to 8 am on 13th Feb, 12miles actual distance driven.